Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Haiti….Round 3!

   Summer 2011 047  

On March 8 I will head back to Haiti for the 3rd time since the earthquake in 2010!

My first trip was life-changing---I had never seen such devastation ANYWHERE...in all of my life.  I thought I was prepared for what I would experience during my time there, but I wasn't. 

I was prepared to see a people living in tents---I wasn't prepared to see the many homeless, without even a tent to stay in. 

I was prepared for poverty---I wasn't prepared to see it to the extent that I did. 

I was prepared to see people begging for money and food---I wasn't prepared to see such malnourished babies that were literally skin and bones. 

I was prepared to go to Haiti to give, to love, to serve---I wasn't prepared to receive so much love from these amazing people or to be served by them. 

It was this last reason that I left part of my heart in Haiti.  I've never seen such a resilient people---people who, less than two months earlier, were involved in such a tragedy, yet had a deeper faith and hope in Jesus than I could have ever imagined. DSCN0790 

Since I left part of my heart in Haiti during my trip during March 2010, I had to go back!  God opened doors (rather...flung them right off the hinges) to get me to Haiti in June 2011.  Once again, I thought I was prepared...after all, I had been to Haiti ONCE before---what more was there to learn, right?!?  HA!  God brought a different group of amazing Haitian people into my life during this trip, and the relationships that were formed were deep.  We loved on each other, prayed for each other and worked side by side to do our part in rebuilding Haiti.  God was so faithful to teach me about the body of Christ and how each of us plays a specific part in that---yet together we are so much stronger than we will ever be alone.  We also spent time in an orphanage where I got to love on some VERY SPECIAL kiddos! Summer 2011 195

Since the trip in June, my heart's been aching to go back.  Why?  Because I left even more of my heart there!  That brings me to right now.  :)  March 8-15 I will head back to Haiti with my church- Grace Bible Church in La Vernia.  I'm excited to go back to the same people and building on the relationships we have already established!  I'm excited to be a part of whatever God has in store for us during that week while we are there!  DSCN0948

If you are interested, I have the perfect way for you to be part of what God is already at work doing among the people in Haiti!   On February 25, our team will hold a 5K walk-a-thon in La Vernia to raise funds for the trip.  You don't have to live in San Antonio or anywhere close to help out!  :)  What I'm looking for is people to sponsor me to walk that day...any amount God puts on your heart is greatly appreciated!    You can make checks payable to Grace Bible Church and put Global Missions in the memo line---your contribution is tax-deductible. 

If you in San Antonio, I can make arrangements to get donations from you, or you can mail it to me!  (Let me know if you are interested and I'll send my address to you).  If you are outside of San Antonio, let me know if you are interested in sponsoring me and I'll send you my address as well.  If you are in Lufkin, mom or dad will have a form and you can get your contribution to them!  Summer 2011 179

Thank you in advance for helping me get back to Haiti and love on these amazing people, in Jesus' name!  I'm so thankful for you.  Even if you are unable to support me financially, please don't underestimate the power of prayer!  I will be so thankful for your prayers for my team leading up to the time we leave and while we are on our trip.  I am confident God has amazing things planned, and we will need your prayer support!  There is nothing more comforting while walking out God's plan for me than knowing that people who love and care for me are lifting me up in prayer.

It’s a WILD ride following Jesus! 

No comments: