Saturday, April 17, 2010

The Job Hunt

UPDATE: I'm so excited to update that the Lord provided a job! Not just any job, but He went far above and beyond anything I could have imagined. I found out on Monday that I will be a Pediatric ICU nurse!! Praise the Lord...HE was faithful...yet again! I'm so thankful that He never tires of teaching me how to trust in Him. Thank you so much for praying!!

In 35 days, I will walk across the stage once again and receive a second BS degree. I’m excited, no doubt! I’m also pretty anxious at the thought of being in the “real world” for the first time. Since Kindergarten, my life has revolved around semesters, spring breaks, and summer vacations, and shortly that will all end. With as much as I complain about wanting to be finished with school, I do enjoy being a student….I REALLY enjoy being a student!! In fact, I’ll give myself 4 months before I am trying to figure out how/when to apply for graduate school. But at this moment, I am completely burned out. I don’t want to study for another exam…present another pointless presentation….attend another lecture. I want to graduate, and I want to get a job.

Which leads me to…

The job hunt.

It’s frustrating to say the very least. Since I have been in nursing school, everyone has spoken of this so-called “nursing shortage”. While I know this may be true as a whole, let me give you a little bit of advice….please don’t speak of it to ANY of us who are going to be new nurses! It’s the biggest lie for us, and it has been so deceiving! It is EXTREMELY difficult to find a nursing job as a new graduate nurse in San Antonio…or Houston…or Dallas…or any larger city. Sure, there are plenty of nursing jobs available, but you have to have experience. The only way to get a job in one of the bigger hospital systems is through an internship or residency program. The problem is only {about} 10% of the applicants to those programs actually get accepted. One of the hospital systems I’ve been most interested in working for isn’t hiring ANY new graduate nurses into their pediatric areas right now. GRRR….

I mention this because the closer graduation gets and I don’t have a job, the more anxious and worried I become. I’m a worrier and a planner, and when I don’t have things planned out, I worry! Makes sense, huh?! On the other hand, there has never been a time in my life where the Lord has not been faithful and provided for my every need. It’s so hard to trust sometimes. I feel like the Lord has had to teach me this lesson of trust in His timing and His perfect will over and over again. Will I ever learn?? I hope so….I want to….I NEED TO! I’m so thankful, though, that the Lord is even faithful in continuing to teach me to trust His perfect plan. I’m thankful that He never tires of teaching me and making me more like Him.

So, if you are reading this, would you be praying? Would you pray that I would be able to rest and trust that the Lord is STILL faithful even when I don’t have my job planned out? Would you pray that I would lay my worries and fears at His feet?

Thank you so much!

14 comments:

Debi said...

Hi Katie!
My name is Debi. I found your blog from the Foote family blog when you went to Haiti recently and got to deliver a package to and photograph their newest daughter, Keemberlie.
I fell in love with your heart for the LORD and serving and orphans and have been praying for you since I heard of you. Praying that God would direct your footsteps and open just the right doors of employment for you. I know that He has awesome plans for you. Trust Him step by step and stay tuned to His voice.
Hugs and prayers,
Debi
Beaverton, OR

Kat said...

Praying for God's leading, wisdom, and a job where you can bring Him the most glory!

Just remember that there is no "limbo" in God, just His timing. :)

Stephanie @ It Is Well said...

I will be praying for you, your job search, and that you will be able to trust God with every part of this. Thank you for praying for me. :)

Mom Of Many said...

I am praying that you will find God's perfect job for you...where you can be His hands and feet...

Kristi O said...

Hi! I came from the Crazy love party. I know what its like to not have a job right out of college and be just waiting.... for God to move. I just pray right now for Peace and for understanding. Lord would you come right now and bring peace, would you speak your heart and mind to this one.... Father you called her to be a nurse. Lord you do know the plans for her. Lord speak clearly, encourage her to dig into the word and to listen to your heart and hear your voice. Father this week I pray that a nurse would counsel this one and encourage her specifically on where to work and who is hiring. Jesus we trust you and love you. amen

From all of us with love said...

Praying for you to be His hands and feet and to rest mightily in His plan. You never know where the Lord's feet will lead! Praying in Ohio.

Amy Murphy said...

Praying for you all the way up here in Pennsylvania!

Unknown said...

Praying that you find the perfect job. Maybe with a little crazy love you will find that needed contacr to get in the door at one of your preferred places to work!

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for your kind words and promised prayers on our blog. I will be praying for you as you watch His plan unfold for your future. I understand that struggle with fear - it is so from the enemy - ugh!

Nancy said...

Katie, I am praying for you to find the PERFECT job! It's a tough market out there, but just be yourself and Jesus will shine through! :)

Hugs...Nancy in CT

from all of us with love said...

Just wanted you to know that I am still praying about your graduation and job situation. Hugs from Ohio Lisa

from all of us with love said...

Still praying for your job needs to be met.

Jenn said...

Praying for you Katie!! Love you!

from all of us with love said...

Hi Again,
I just wanted you to know that I am still remembering you in prayer. Not only for your loss but your new transition.
Lisa
avasesofchcngeforlilygrace.blogspot.com