Monday, January 26, 2009

Xin Nian Kaui Le!

Today is Chinese New Year AND it is the year of the OX. I'm pretty pumped about it because I was born in the year of the Ox. While I'm not EXACTLY sure what that means for me, one of my sweet friends in China told me I was supposed to be wearing red underwear. Is that just on New Year? or for the ENTIRE year? Who knows?!? It's supposed to bring me luck and good fortune.

Holidays, both Chinese and American, are always a fun time for me to reconnect with my students from the summers I taught there. We exchange pictures and traditions as well practice my very limited Mandarin skills and their INCREDIBLE English skills. I've asked all of them to send pictures of their celebration...if I get enough response from them, I will make a post about it.

This New Year I thought a lot about my students and friends in China. My heart began to ache not knowing if/when I will get to see them again. Some of them know the Lord...many of them don't. I pray for them and hope that one day they will know HIM. I decided to post my slideshow/video I made of Camp China 2007 for a couple of reasons: 1- so I would have it on this blog and 2-some people have asked to see it. So here it is!

XIN NIAN KUAI LE!
*that's Mandarin pin yin for Happy New Year!

1 comment:

Lexie said...

Hey Katie!!
Love the new blog!! I watched the video and loved every bit of it! Next time you go to China, bring me with you!! Looks like so much fun!

Thanks so much for offering to help with geometry :/ so far this semester...so good. But, I haven't got my test back that I took on Monday. So...that grade will reveal if I need tutoring! haha! Oh, but I am already thinking about next year...are you good at Algebra II? I KNOW i'll need some tutoring then!

Oh, and sometime...you will have to talk to me about nursing. I want to go to nursing school and I know I have lots of time to plan for that...but its already totally freaking me out! After looking at all I need to do for that I started thinking...maybe I DON'T want to be a nurse! haha!

Ok, anyway! Have a great rest of the week! :) Lexie