Thursday, February 4, 2010

Love People

These words have been in the forefront of my mind and on my heart for the past few months.  The Lord has used this phrase to take me to a deeper place in my relationship with Him because I realize in my own strength I don’t do a very good job of this. 

Of course it’s easy to love those who love me…those who think the same way I think…those who agree with me.  But what about those who don’t?  What about the people who annoy me to NO END (which is more people than I care to admit)?… or the people who don’t value the same things I value?…or the patients I care for who don’t appreciate a darn thing?  Love them, REALLY?  Yes, those are the ones I have a hard time loving.  This is where the Lord stepped in and said, “Those are the ones I want you to love.”

Matthew 5:44-48
"But I say to you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven; for He causes His sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous.  For if you love those who love you, what reward do you have? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? If you greet only your brothers, what more are you doing than others? Do not even the Gentiles do the same?  Therefore you are to be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect.”

Ok, ok Lord.  Love those who are hard to love.  I know I’m supposed to, but why??  [please take note that I realize now how extremely juvenile and immature my thoughts on loving people were] 

Proverbs 3:3-4
”Let love and faithfulness never leave you; bind them around your neck, write them on the tablet of your heart.  Then you will win favor and a good name in the sight of God and man.”

Through learning to love people well, I realize how thankful I am for God’s grace.  He loves me even though  I don’t deserve it in the least.  Because of His love that is in me, I choose to love what HE loves….who HE loves.  More and more, I’m finding that it ALWAYS includes people who aren’t “like me”. 

I love how Proverbs 3 says “Let love and faithfulness NEVER leave you….THEN you will win favor and a good name in the sight of God and man.”  People will know us by our love….not only will they know us, but most importantly, they will see Christ through our love.   After all…that’s the MOST important thing! 

No comments: