Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Katie’s Going BACK to HAITI!!!

Spring 2010 040

I’m beyond excited that in about 48 hours, I will be back in Haiti!  Bags are packed and all items on my to-do list are completed…only one more day of work and then I’m outta here! 

Even now as I sit here typing this post, I can’t believe I’m going back to the place where I left part of my heart over a year ago.  The people in Haiti are amazing…they are strong and resilient…they are so full of joy.  Even more than excitement about going back, I’m humbled that God chooses to let me be part of what He is already doing in the lives of these beautiful people.  Seeing God work in people’s lives, whether in San Antonio or China or Haiti, is what makes me “tick”.  It is the thing that brings me the biggest smiles and the fullest heart. 

So here is a little bit about how this trip came about…

Sometime in early May, I was having a little convo with a sweet friend at work.  *just as a side note…I can’t tell you how much of a blessing to me it is to work with someone who loves the Lord with everything and radiates Him ALL THE TIME.  Talk about an encouragement and answered prayer! Love her!!*  Through this conversation I told her about going to Haiti after the earthquake and how much I wanted to go back.  She mentioned that her church would be going in June if I was interested.  Of course I was interested, but the problem was that my June was already SO FULL…two weddings, VBS, GA Camp, and work.  But just as it always happens when the Lord is calling me to do something, He provides a way where there seems to be no way.  That is exactly what happened over the next few days…GOD MADE A WAY!!  He opened door after door beginning with no scheduling conflicts with things I had previously committed to.  He moved mountains and allowed me to have those days off of work on short notice, and all of this happened on the day of the deadline to buy tickets. 

There are 14ish people on my team (I can’t remember the exact number), and we are meeting up with some others once we are there!  We will be in Haiti for 8 days, and I’ll have to fill you in on the details of what we will be doing once I get back…because  I’m really not sure at this point.       

Before I leave, I wanted to write out some specific prayer requests that I have as I am in Haiti.  I would appreciate your prayers more than you ever know.

1.  My heart is to be the hands and feet of Christ as I serve.  Would you pray that I would step out of the way and hide behind the cross?  I don’t want people to see ME; I want them to see JESUS.  I don’t want people to tell me how great I am for going to Haiti; I want them to know how great GOD is and how He loves them beyond anything they could fathom. It’s not about me…it never has been…and it never will be.  It’s about the people of Haiti seeing Jesus in everything I do. 

2.  Pray for perseverance and strength as our days will be long and tiring!

3.  Pray that I would exchange the expectations of what I want to see happen in Haiti for an attitude and heart of expectancy to see what the Lord will do.

4.  Many of you know how clumsy I am…so would you pray for safety and protection.  Not just for me, but for my entire team.

Thank you in advance for your prayers!  They are what gets us through each long, HOT day!  I’ll be back in a couple of weeks with stories and pictures of what the Lord is doing; so stay tuned!

This trip is completely different, but here is a recap of my last trip:
My Heart is in Haiti- Part 1
My Heart is in Hait- Part 2
My Heart is in Haiti- Part 3
My Heart is in Haiti- Part 4
My Heart is in Haiti- Part 5
My Heart is in Haiti- Part 6

*parts 3, 5, and 6 are my favorites!  :)

It’s a wild ride following Jesus…but I wouldn’t have it any other way!

1 comment:

Penny said...

I'm praying ardently for you my sweet friend! If we call onto Him, He will show us great & mighty things we do not yet know (Jer 33:3)