Thursday, March 25, 2010

My Heart is in Haiti- Part 1

Spring 2010 038

I’ve thought long and hard about the best way to update my blog about my trip to Haiti, but each way seems so inadequate to really give you a picture of all that I saw and experienced while I was there. So many incredible stories of hope and joy in the midst of tragedy as well as stories that are so incredibly sad and bring tears to my eyes each time I think of them. There are stories of kids who stole my heart from the moment I laid eyes on them….stories of children who desperately need homes and medical care…stories of bravery and survival…stories of children just waiting to come home to their forever families.

Haiti now has faces, names, and stories…I want you to see them too. So my plan is to show you one story per post. I have no idea how long it will take. Be patient with me…I’m trying to finish strong in school as well and so I don’t have as much time as I would like to update.

-----Spring 2010 293

To start off, here is a little overview of our trip!

We flew into Haiti on Saturday afternoon, and the adventure began as soon as we stepped out of the Port-au-Prince airport. Men would come up and try (forcefully) to take your bags for you while yelling at each other in Creole. It was a slightly frightening experience, and I wasn’t sure if I was up for it.

We spent Saturday through Wednesday working at Mission of Hope. Seriously go check them out; they are an incredible organization that is sharing the love of Jesus in so many ways. During our time at MOH, I worked in medical clinics, attended church services with Haitian believers, and loved on orphans! What could be any better than that?!?

We left MOH on Wednesday evening to spend the rest of our week in Port-au-Prince. During this part of the week, we visited two orphanages and a tent city in the National Stadium. Both of those things were amazing experiences that I wouldn’t trade for anything!

----Spring 2010 111

I went to Haiti to serve, comfort, and show love to these beautiful Haitian people, but quite the opposite happened! They served me….they taught me about persevering in tragedy….they loved unconditionally. The Lord changed me through these people. They are beautiful and so resilient!

Spring 2010 149

1 comment:

britney said...

cant wait to hear your stories :)