Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Change.

Change. It's a word that overwhelms me more than any other. If it's an expected change, I usually make it through okay, but unexpected changes throw me for a loop.

Moving to San Antonio. an expected change. I thought about it. I planned for it. I prayed about it and truly felt a peace in my heart about the move. There was plenty of time for me to prepare myself for leaving the life I'd established in College Station for 5 years and transition into a new stage of life. When the time came to say goodbye to Aggieland, I was ready. Grateful for my time in Aggieland, but ready for a brand new chapter of life.

2 years for nursing school instead of 1.5 years. an unexpected change. Throughout the process of applying to nursing school, I was led to believe that I was in the accelerated program which would finish in December 2009 instead of May 2010. The first day of class, I realized (for the first of many times to come in nursing school) that I was led to believe something that wasn't true. I had mentally prepared myself for 1.5 years of student loans....1.5 years to receive my BSN...1.5 years until I would start a "real" job. In a matter of minutes, I had to wrap my mind around an extra semester. For some, that may not be so difficult...for me, the planner...it threw me for a loop.

As I sit here, 5 days shy of living in San Antonio for one year, I realize just how much change has taken place in this time.
  • I'm starting to use the word "home" to describe San Antonio
  • I have an entirely new group of friends I hang out with regularly
  • I've gone from loving BIG churches to being incredibly happy in House Church
  • I use one tube of toothpaste instead of two
  • I don't have to walk on the left side of people anymore
  • I can occasionally leave my bed unmade for the day without completely freaking out
  • My eating habits are much different from this time last year
  • Driving 30-45 minutes now seems like a fairly "quick trip" across town

Oh and those are just a few of the changes I've seen. Some of those changes may be trivial, but many of them are part of a much bigger change I've seen in my life this year. The Lord IS CHANGING me. He has turned my little world upside down this year....at times left me feeling broken, but I see evidences in my life of Him molding me more into the image of His Son. I'm so grateful for that change. Unexpected? Somewhat, but something I for which I've been praying. Did it throw me for a loop? At times it did, but He is teaching me to relinquish control. By giving Him control, I'm starting to praise Him for the change He is making in my heart and life.

Philippians 1:6
"For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus."

3 comments:

Jenn said...

I have to know about the toothpaste. Two tubes?

I love you Katie!

Drew and Rachel said...

hey Katie, thanks for writing on our blog. good to know that you're watching and Thinking of us.

it's been harder to keep up with you because blogspot has been blocked here for a few months now. fortunately we have a proxy allowing us to get around the Great Firewall of China, but it has not been as reliable and as fast. so I'm thankful that it's working right now.

many blessings to you as you work toward that nursing degree! thanks for your encouragement in the faith. :)

小Katie said...

Whoa Katie!!! You don't have to walk on the left side anymore and you leave your bed unmade?!!!! Congrats, your "OCD" is shrinking!!!