Monday, August 24, 2009

God. Rocked. My. World.

There is no denying that I absolutely love the first day of school. I'm almost certain that I always have! I love our family tradition of waking up extra early and going out for the "first day of school breakfast"; I love getting to use my brand new school supplies (which still makes me giddy even at 24 years old); I love getting to see friends again; I love the clean slate of NO previous grades determining how much/when I study for exams. Today, like all other first days, was great, but God really rocked my world and left me yearning for more of this semester.

You see, this is the semester I've been looking forward to since I started nursing school...


First semester wasn't bad...basic nursing care, pharmacology, nursing process, overcoming my fear of touching patients and invading their space, etc.

Second semester was the worst school semester (by far!) I've EVER had in my life. Which left me longing for....

Third semester! This is when we actually get our hands on the babies and kiddos. Yes! What I want to do with my life...FINALLY! Our third semester is divided into two blocks. For me, I have OB during 1st block, and starting in October, I will have Pediatrics for my 2nd block.

So back to today....first day...third semester...

We began OB by learning about the newborn transition during the first few hours/days of their life. What an amazing transformation takes place!! Did you know that before the baby is born, he/she doesn't use the lungs and liver for the purpose God created it for outside the womb?? The mom takes care of that. Because of this little detail, God created different shunts in the baby's circulatory system so that the blood can be diverted away from those organs (for the most part). When the baby takes it's first breath and lets out it's first cries, those shunts (are supposed to) close, and the baby's circulation now performs "normal" (for lack of a better word) circulation.


Then you have ways that babies attach & bond to the mom...


Then there is the way babies have really interesting reflexes...


Then there is the way they keep themselves warm since they don't "shiver"...


The list could go on and on....


Today I was reminded that I serve an amazingly creative, beautiful, thoughtful God who pays attention to the most intricate details of his children. None of this was an accident....it was God's perfect design.

As I sat through this lecture in amazement and awe of this, He gently reminded me that He is the one who knits babies together in their mother's womb and plans and numbers their days....I am no exception.

So in the midst of trying to figure out what I'm supposed to do when I finish nursing school, He said, "Rest. Trust. I have YOU in the palm of My hand." The same God who moves the blood where it needs to go in our bodies knows the plans He has for me, Katie! The same amazingly creative, beautiful, thoughtful God who pays attention to the most intricate details of his children really rocked my world today.

3 comments:

Jenn said...

How awesomely cool is our God!? So happy to hear you had such an amazing first day back!

britney said...

i just found your blog! love this post... and the one before that, of course ;) will you email me the pickle pop picture where shes making that funny face? its britneybaer@gmail.com

stephanie said...

just stumbled upon your blog and i LOVE this post. what an awesome reminder of the perfect details of being created in God's image. thanks for your wonderful way with words...