Monday, August 31, 2009

Clinical Uniform Dilemma

I'm a Texas Aggie...no doubt about it! I love everything about the 5 years (only 4 IN school...the last one was just because I didn't want to leave) I spent in College Station...the traditions...Kyle Field...Blue Baker...etc. If you cut me, I WILL bleed MAROON! So you can imagine how hard it was for me to come to a "University of Texas" (t.u.) school here in San Antonio.

Day 1 of first semester, they handed me a burnt orange tshirt to wear to class. I pretended not to understand that I was actually supposed to WEAR the tshirt, hid it under my arm, and tried to walk into class. BUSTED...they told me I needed to wear the burnt orange, hideous tshirt to class. They must not care to much about my allergy to ALL THINGS burnt orange. After a little grumbling under my breath, I obliged. When class was over, I took the tshirt off and put it in a drawer...yet to see it since then.

For my first two semesters of nursing school, the administration went with a very traditional white uniform for our clinicals in the hospital. We looked like marshmallows....wearing ALL white from head to toe. No one liked our uniforms, but I figured there was no use to complain. Obviously someone (or several someones) decided to complain about our uniforms, and the buzz throughout Semester 2 was that there would be a uniform change over the summer. I was excited, but I obviously wasn't considering the options!

They DID change the uniforms. So now we no longer walk around looking like marshmallows (YAY!), but now we will look like pumpkins (BOO!!!). Burnt orange top (REALLY?!?!) and black bottoms. They didn't think to ask about my allergy to wearing burnt orange....I'm pretty sure that's important for them to know. Who knows, I might just fall over and die from wearing the awful color! :D

Anywho...I decided to do something about it. My thought...I'll wear a maroon Aggie tshirt under the burnt orange one. That idea was shot down SUPER FAST when they said only white could be worn underneath...DRATS. So I got to thinking again...I'll make some white Aggie tanktops to go under the burnt orange top. So that's was my project for the day! Allergic reaction...err....crisis averted!!



5 comments:

Jessie Rae said...

As a longhorn, I don't like the insult to that beautiful color. BUT this is one of the many reasons why I adore you! You are so cute and that just seems like such a Katie thing to do. Love it!

Jenn said...

You are too cute Katie!! :)

Jon and Brittany said...

You are so cute, Katie! I love this about you!

Travis & Meagan Hogg said...

Well, Katie, I think you are very blessed to be wearing this color, it's such an honor :). I do have to give you props for your creativity, but I won't lie, this post made me happy! :)

Veronica T. said...

You're awesome! This didn't suprise me at all! WHOOP!!!!!!