Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Difficult Day in L&D

Working in Labor and Delivery is a job that can take you from one extreme of emotions to the other within a matter of minutes. Earlier this summer, for example, I witnessed a sweet mother lose her baby at 20 weeks. In the same shift, I watched a sweet baby being born. Needless to say, that was a slightly emotional day.

Today was one of the days where I saw a lot of heartache and tears. One young mother came in for an ultrasound to find her baby (14 weeks) had no heartbeat. Another middle-aged woman received news that a tumor she's had for a long period of time has some new manifestations that are seriously going to hinder her life. Both of these women were brought to tears, and all that I could do was watch and pray for them at a distance. Oh how I wanted to do more for them, but everything I could think of felt so inadequate. I'm so thankful that the Lord can meet them where they are in their specific situations. I was reminded today of this scripture,

"The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit." Psalm 34:18

Lord, be close to these ladies today. May your nearness to them bring peace and comfort that no one else can give.

2 comments:

Drew and Rachel said...

When I was giving birth we had the most wonder LD nurses. So helpful with breastfeeding, pumping, caring for the baby, caring for me...they were great! With your compassion I know that those people you served were blessed too.

Catie said...

My favorite psalm... love it.